Friday, June 02, 2006

Where in the world is...

It's been a busy two weeks.

I've finally given my 2-weeks notice. June 16th is my last day at work! Woohoo! There were, as anticipated, mixed reactions to the news. There were people who looked at me with a mixture of pity and incredulity as if I were going through a midlife crisis. Others handled it better and looked at me with only mild disgust. Overall, not too bad though.

True Story:
I never actually bought into the whole "deals are made on the golf course" BS, but here's what happened to me last weekend. I was playing golf (*gasp! yes, I am a closet golf-lover*) on Monday, and because the course was crowded, I was asked to play alongwith a father-son pair. It turns out that the father taught at Columbia BSchool for about 15 years (till a few years ago) and is now at a financial services firm, and the son is a recent CBS alumn. Anyway, long story short, we had a lot of fun talking about BS (BSchool and the other BS), and at the end of the round, the older gentleman mentioned the possibility of finding me a summer internship at his firm!!

Ok, so it's not a done deal, but I spoke to him earlier today, and it looks like it might actually work out. I'm meeting with him and some others from his firm next week to check it out. Very exciting! Of course, the question now is, do I really want to work this summer? I was really looking forward to taking 2 months off and catching up on sleep, reading pulp fiction, and watching shitty reality TV. Oh, and completing the fin and accounting assessments that Stern has sent out. Summer homework! Feels like school already!

In other news, I have started researching my Italy trip (I'll be travelling to Florence and Tuscany). So far, this has mainly involved going to the neighborhood Italian restaurant and consuming massive amounts of spaghetti and tiramisu, and imbibing many litres of Chianti. Once I've mastered these, I'll move onto the less important things like buying a guidebook, checking out some websites, creating an itinerary etc. Oh, and the very painful process of getting a Schengen visa to Italy (though, IMO the visa process for Spain was much more painful).

That's that for now. I am working on a post about the Stern application process, since there aren't many posts out there dealing with Stern specifically. So, be sure to read the feed.

3 comments:

JuiceMeUp said...

Also could you please elaborate how your interviews turned out at stern and columbia. it would help me a lot.

Marina said...

I think you should totally go for the internship if it has something to do with your ultimate post-mba goal. I am actually talking to a few people about setting up something similar :)

oh and I am going to be in town for the Lehman Brothers ibanking workship June 19-26ish so we can grab coffee then if you are going to be around!

Ash said...

awesome..i need to start working on my swing again..as soon as my shoulder unfreezes from the last season's snowboarding session!

Florence..also know as Firenze (I was lost looking for florence, till i realised that it is Firenze) is a beautiful city....but DO NOT forget to go to
Sienna (Where the world famous palio is held- bareback horse riding race)
San Gaminianno (famous for its towers and world famous gelato shop in the main town square)
are you going alone or in a group? If in a group, you might fancy renting a car!
also...while you are there...definitely visit
Montelcino and Montelpulciano (know for some of the best italian wines)
need some help planning/advice...give me a shout!
cheers
ash